Matt’s grandmother found this book for Abby at a garage sale. She loves it and so do I! When given the option of a book to choose, Abigail always chooses this one. She likes to read it to her sister as well. It’s a hardcover Golden book. Hardcovers work best for us right now since Abby is still putting everything in her mouth at 19 months. The pages also don’t tear which is a plus.
This book was written in 1981, and shows the steps a little girl takes to get ready for bed. She undresses, takes a bath with mommy’s help, puts her pj’s on, brushes her teeth, reads books with daddy, says her prayers, gets tucked in, then says goodnight. The illustrations have a 1970′s little girl feel. Check this book out for your own little girl! She may love it too!
Also, make sure to enter our current giveaway for a cute hair bow. Contest ends Friday!Read More
One thing you MUST have when a new baby arrives: Car Seat! In fact, the hospital won’t let you leave without one. But why settle with a plane, jane carrier that has a rough, plastic cover with a boring print that looks like a dozen other people’s? Or, if you’ve had a little girl or two, and then have a boy, wouldn’t you love to have a special seat for your son that won’t have people asking if he’s a girl?
My childhood friend, Rose, made these custom seat covers that are not only cute, but feel soft against my little one’s new baby skin (don’t I have the cutest little girl and sweetest niece??). My sister and I chose the printed fabric we liked from Hobby Lobby, sent a picture of our baby carrier, and Rose did the rest. Literallyeverywhere I go, from church to the grocery store to the doctor’s office, someone compliments my custom made cover.
Rose also makes cute bags, blankets, burp cloths, nursing covers, and hair accessories. You can visit her Etsy shop, Charli’s Boutique (named after her precious little girl) here.
CHARLI’S BOUTIQUE DISCOUNT & GIVEAWAY
1. When you email her requesting a car seat cover, mention promo code AGH11, and she’ll give you $15 off your purchase!!! (You can email Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org. Discount applies to car seat cover purchases only)
2. The winner of our next giveaway will receive a hair accessory of their choice!! This will be cute on your little girl or a great gift for a baby shower, birthday, or Christmas!
Interested in winning?
How to Enter & Giveaway Rules:
You can have up to SIX entries in this contest
1. Visit Rose’s shop Charli’s Boutique and leave a comment here sharing what you’re favorite item is
2. “Like” A Godly Heritage on Facebook, and come back here to leave a comment telling me that you do (if you already like it, just let me know!)
3. “Like” Charli’s Boutique on Facebook, and come back here leave a comment telling me that you do
4. Share this contest on Facebook (just click on the Fb icon at the bottom of this post), and leave a comment here telling me that you did
5. Tweet about this contest (just click on the Twitter icon at the bottom of the post), and leave a comment here telling me that you did
6. Blog about this contest, and leave me a comment here with a link to your blog
- That is SIX ways to enter! Each comment counts as one entry, so DON’T combine any of these into one comment. You can enter all six ways, or only choose one or two.
- Contest ends Friday night, August 26, and the winner will be announced Saturday, August 27.
If you have a child, grandchild, niece, nephew, know someone with a child, and/or ever plan on attending a baby shower, this item is a MUST have – MUST give!
When Abigail entered the world in December of 2009, our friends Justin and Alysia visited us in the hospital and gave this Bible to our new little girl:
This is the Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones. We own several children’s Bible’s, but this is by far our favorite.
What I Love About It:
- Easy to understand
- Great illustrations
- The deluxe edition comes with three CD’s of the entire book being read
- Can be used with children of all ages (I get something out of each story myself!)
- Ties the entire Bible together by taking Old Testament stories and pointing forward Jesus and using New Testament stories to point both back to what Christ has done and forward into eternity
Things I Would Change:
- I have nothing negative to say about this Bible! If you’re looking for a Bible with verses straight from Scripture, this isn’t it. This is a storybook Bible.
- A few stories I would have included are not found in this Bible (Sodom and Gomorrah, for example). But, the Bible is full of amazing stories, so I understand not being able to include them all.
Ways I Use It:
- Abigail and I (and Aubrey, if she’s awake) sit and read one story from this Bible each day.
- Each story takes between 5-7 minutes to read
- Has been a great tool to train Abby to sit still and listen
- We pray at the end of each reading and include a “thanks” to God for the lesson we learned while reading
- We listen to the CD’s while we’re hanging out at home
From the first story:
Now, some people think the Bible is a book of rules telling you what you should and shouldn’t do. The Bible certainly does have some rules in it. They show you how life works best. Bit the Bible isn’t mainly about you and what you should be doing. It’s about God and what he has done.
Other people think the Bible is a book of heroes, showing you people you should copy. The Bible does have some heroes in it, but (as you’ll soon find out) most of the people in the Bible aren’t heroes at all.
No, the Bible isn’t a book of rules , or a book of heroes. The Bible is most of all a Story. It’s an adventure story about a young Hero who comes from a far country to win back his lost treasure. It’s a love story about a brave Prince who leaves his palace, his throne – everything – to rescue the one he loves. It’s like the most wonderful of fairy tales that has come true in real life!
Another one of my favorites in this book, the story of Namaan the leper, is presented beautifully. The author titles it, “A Little Servant Girl and the Proud General.” She talks about a little servant girl who learned to forgive and help, and how Namaan not only needing healing from his spots but also from his proud heart. The story concludes with these words:
God knew sin was like leprosy. It stopped his children’s hearts from working properly and in the end it would kill them. Years later, God was going to send another Servant, to forgive as she did – to forgive all of God’s children and heal the terrible sickness in their hearts.
Their hearts were broken.
But God can mend broken hearts.
The story of Zacchaeus describes Jesus’ love towards us despite our sin:
Jesus loved Zacchaeus when nobody else did. He was Zacchaeus’ friend, even when no one else was. Because Jesus was showing people what God’s love was like – his wonderful, Never Stopping, Never Giving up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love.
I could continue with these great examples, but I’m sure you get the idea. This book is wonderful! Get it today to share with someone you love!!Read More
Here are a few of the great reads I’ve found over the past week.
Hope you find something useful here!
Looking for art, handwriting, English, history, math, or science printables for homeschooling? Need some planning ideas with printable schedules before you start the new school year? Check out this website. There’s a lot of information and helpful tools. I’m bookmarking this to use in a few years with my girls.
This is an excellent article showing how women can easily become ensnared to the sin of pornography through romantic movies. What a timely article that I would encourage any woman, married or single, to read. ”Just as sexual pornography twists an understanding for men about real women’s bodies and sexual appetites, so romantic pornography twists the perception for women about real men and how they “ought” to behave toward women, which tends to amount to, well, behaving like a woman.” Click here for the full article.
Think those fruit snacks you’re feeding your kids are good for them? Read this article to see what is really inside those fruit shaped treats.
What marvelous grace there is for us in every moment of desparation! We need only reach out to Christ for the power to overcome even the most tempting of sins and he will provide the way of escape. Praise God for such a salvation! Praise God for such a Savior! Tired of reaching inward to find strength for your journey? Read this excellent and encouraging reminder of our need to depend on the Savior written by my sweet friend Jessalyn.
Ever been told you have your hands full with your kids? Ever felt like that? This extremely encouraging post from Desiring God’s website is an excellent reminder that we are called to love and raise our children because we are moms! “Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for.” Click here to read the full article and be encouraged!
Humorous article reminding the reader of the importance of keeping parenting simple: Love God and love your kids. Click here for this refreshing read.
“The goal of parenting is not the salvation of your children. The goal of parenting is to be parents who are pleasing to the Lord and trust Him for how your kids turn out.” What a wonderful encouragement from our pastor, Ken Ramey, last Sunday to be a godly parent. Click on this link and choose the sermon Parenting 101. You can listen online or download it.
Do you write, blog, keep a journal? Do you desire to start but can’t quite motivate yourself? Read this article!
Although I would call this a calzone, this blogger refers to this tasty dish as a stromboli. If your looking for a way to use up some zuchini squash or other summer veggies, this is a delicious recipe! I made it for lunch yesterday, and it was a hit with Matt and Abigail. I used her crust recipe, omitted the mushrooms, and added fresh, diced tomatoes and some leftover steak meat. I also seasoned my veggies with some salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian seasonings. Click here for the recipe. It will be the second one on the page. YUMMY!
Our giveaway for a print from Julianne Scott Photography ends tomorrow at noon CST. Make sure to sign up to win by clicking here and following the instructions in the box!