Our third soup recipe for the month is another one of my favorites. I love the cheesy goodness of this thick soup. The chicken added to a normal recipe of broccoli cheese soup adds heartiness and flavor. Try this out soon, and let me know what you think!
- 2 large chicken breast OR approx. 2.5 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 5 cups water OR chicken broth (use broth ONLY if you’re using already cooked, shredded chicken)
- 1/2 of a large onion, diced small
- 2 large stalks of celery, diced small
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 extra large bunch of broccoli, chopped (frozen may be substituted) chop part of stalks too! Don’t skimp on the veggies!
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pound Velveeta*
- 1/4 c. cold water + 1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch (to thicken if necessary)
*Normally, I would not recommend using a cheese product like Velveeta. There is nothing healthy about it… which is why I use it sparingly in my cooking, but it sure does make this soup taste good.
- Cook chicken breasts in water with onion, celery, garlic, and seasonings until chicken is cooked thoroughly. If using precooked chicken, cook veggies and seasonings in broth until veggies are soft.
- Remove chicken to cool.
- Add broccoli to water. Bring to boil. Cook broccoli until soft. While cooking, chop or shred cooling chicken.
- Reduce heat. Add chicken to soup.
- Add milk and diced Velveeta.
- Heat soup. Don’t boil or the soup may scorch.
- Once cheese has melted, use your discretion to determine whether or not you’d prefer the soup thicker. If so, stir the water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Once smooth, add to soup. Heat to nearly boiling while stirring until thick.
- Enjoy with crackers or carrot sticks.
Soup freezes well, and tastes great leftover!
Have you heard of Swagbucks? If not, you NEED to check this great website out. The concept is simple: search for things on the internet, receive random “reward” money, buy great items (like Amazon gift cards, movies, even an iphone if you save enough!) with this “money,” have it shipped to you for free! Yes, it sounds to good to be true. But it’s not! Here’s the simple rundown on how you can join in on the fun:
1. Sign up
Click this link and go through the sign up process. It’s quick and easy. You will choose a screen name to activate your account. You do give your name, birthday, email, and zip code, but your email will NOT be flooded with junk unless you want it to be.
2. Start Searching
Swagbucks is basically a Google-type search engine. You can search for things from the actual website, or you can download the toolbar for quick searching. When you do enter a word or phrase, the website will give you many links about the topic for which you’re searching. The way Swagbucks earn their money us by having sponsors pay them to use their websites at the top of the list with the hopes that you click on them. At random times, swagbucks will appear at the top of the screen when you search. For example, if I’m wanting to check my facebook, I’ll simply type “facebook” into the toolbar and hit search. Sometimes I get nothing, but often I’ll get anywhere from six to thirty six swagbucks just for the search to a website I go to all of the time!
3. Other ways to earn
Swagbucks can also be earned by taking daily polls, surveys, shopping, sending in old cell phones, and referring friends. My favorite way is simply searching the internet. Once you sign up, you’ll see a “ways to earn” tab at the top of the webpage. Click on those links for more info. Occasionally, the Swag Guy will write a blog and have a code for you to enter on your home page for extra swagbucks as well. You can also “like” Swagbucks on Facebook to earn even more. My favorite ways to earn though are the polls and plain-o searching.
4. Save then Spend!
As of today, Matt and I have earned $1,947 swagbucks. We’ve been working on it a month and a half or so. If I wanted to “buy” some items now, here’s a few things I could get:
- 4 – $5 Amazon gift card
- 1 – $10 Starbucks gift card
- 1 – $10 Farmville gift card
- a DVD of either Breakfast at Tiffanys, Titanic, Star Trek, or several more
- Naturally Lindy lotions and creams
- Many other items!
None of these things may sound interesting to you, but there are plenty of other items of worth at the store. From electronics to restaurant gift cards, clothes to video games, make-up to comic books, there is something there for everyone. Once you find something you want and save the money, you can “buy” your item and have it within days – all for free!
What I’m saving for…
Matt and I have decided to save for one of two items. Either we’ll be spending our swagbucks around Christmas time on Target and Amazon gift cards for our family’s presents, or we’ll be saving up the $37,000 needed to buy a $300 Apple gift card to put towards a new computer. Sound ambitious? Yes! But, since we use the internet anyway, why not earn something free while we’re at it?
Now it’s your turn
Check out Swagbucks by clicking on any of the links within this post. Use them as a way to help your family save some money this year. If you have questions or comments about it, please let me know, and I can help!! Happy Swagging!
Man-wife-children families are temporary blessings for this age. In the age to come, they will not exist (Matt. 22:23-30). But the church will exist as family forever. This has profound implications for how singles and married people think about each other and relate to each other.
And when his own mother and brothers asked to see Him, Jesus said, ” ‘Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?’ And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, the said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers!” (Matt.22:30). Jesus is turning everything around. Yes, he loved his mother and his brothers. But those are all natural and temporary relationships. He did not come into the world to focus on that. He came into the world to call out a people for his name from all the families of the earth into a new family where single people in Christ are full-fledged members on a par with all others, bearing fruit for God and becoming mothers and fathers of the eternal kind.
“Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!” a woman cried out to Jesus. And he turned and said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!” (Luke 11:27-28) The mother of God is the obedient Christian – married or single! Take a deep breath and reorder your world.
Single person, married person, do you want children, mothers, brothers, sisters, lands? Renounce the primacy of your natural relationships and follow Jesus into the fellowship of the people of God. (see Mark 10:29-30)
Marriage and singleness both present us with unique trials and unique opportunities for our sanctification – our preparation for heaven. There will be unique rewards for each. Which is greater will not depend on whether you were married or single, but how you responded to each.
Matt and I have been working this afternoon on a new blog theme. Check it out, and tell me what you think!Read More
The month of May has passed in a blur. With Mother’s Day, numerous graduations and parties, church activities, and family get-togethers, time has flown! I haven’t been blogging as much as I’d like. Hopefully this week will have several new posts for your reading enjoyment!
Stay tuned this week for:
- Part Two of Teaching Godliness ~ More ways to pass on a love for the Lord to your children.
- Recipe of the Week: Homemade Pizza
- Week two of This Momentary Marriage ~ Roles of the husband and wife.
- Update on the Hunter’s Home Hunt
- Pictures of Abby ~ She’s five months old now!
- Personal testimony of submission ~ How being obedient to God brings rewards
Hope that all of you enjoy your Memorial Day. Remember as your enjoy your hamburgers and ice cream that many men and women have fought for our freedom! Thank you to my dad and grandpa for their sacrifice.
I leave you today with my favorite verse from The Battle Hymn of the Republic:
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me:
As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.
Check out this giveaway on one of my favorite blogs.
Also, be sure to check this site for some of the cutest baby clothes around.Read More